Local people prevented the police from reaching the site immediately after the blast and it could have been done to shield the accused, said Thakur's lawyer, advocate JP Mishra.
A police official said they were verifying the details but no First Information Report has been registered yet.
The ATS official was cross-examined by Thakur's lawyer during the day's proceedings.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squasd, probing the 13/7 blasts case, is on hunt for five more alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives suspected to have played key role in the terror attacks, besides the group's top operative Yasin Bhatkal and two planters, police said on Sunday.
A special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court in Mumbai on Monday issued a bailable warrant against Bharatiya Janata Party MP Pragya Singh Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, for failing to appear before it despite repeated warnings.
The Union home ministry on Tuesday acknowledged there was a lack of coordination between the Delhi police and the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad in the probe into the July 13, 2011 serial blasts in Mumbai but downplayed the rift between them.
The National Investigation Agency court also noted that the warrant was not served on Thakur and directed her to appear before it on March 27 for recording statement.
The NIA is already probing the case related to the recovery of a Scorpio SUV, parked near Ambani's residence 'Antilia', with gelatin sticks and has arrested an assistant police inspector, Sachin Waze.
A special court in India has reserved its verdict in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, which killed six people and injured over 100. The trial began nearly 17 years after the bombing in the town of Malegaon, located in Maharashtra. The prosecution concluded its final arguments on Saturday, marking the end of the hearings. Seven individuals, including Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit and BJP leader Pragya Thakur, are facing charges under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The verdict is expected to be delivered on May 8th.
Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad would seek the custody of 26/11 Mumbai attacks handler Abu Jundal after Delhi police finish their probe, State Home Minister R R Patil said on Thursday.
Nineteen years later, remembering how terror struck Mumbai's lifeline on July 11, 2006.
The hotelier from Panchmarhi, during his deposition in the court of Special NIA Judge PR Sitre, denied making any statement to the probe agencies, said special public prosecutor Avinash Rasal.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) on Monday took an accused arrested in the Mansukh Hiran murder case to the creek where his body was found, and also detained a person from Gujarat who had provided them SIM cards, officials said.
The Maharashtra ATS's supplementary chargesheet against arrested LeT operative Abu Jundal brings out some of his chilling confessions over the dastardly 26/11 terror attacks, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
Nearly 17 years after a blast in Malegaon town of north Maharashtra claimed six lives, a special court in Mumbai on Thursday acquitted all the seven accused, including former Bharatiya Janata Party MP Pragya Singh Thakur and Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, noting there was 'no reliable and cogent evidence' against them.
The Bombay High Court acquitted all 12 accused in the 2006 Mumbai train blasts case, citing a failure by the prosecution to prove their guilt and raising serious concerns about the investigation and evidence presented.
The Delhi police Special Cell has busted a terror module with links to Pakistan and arrested five suspected operatives after raids across multiple states, an official said on Thursday.
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act Court in Mumbai allowed the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad to interrogate two accused in connection with the last week's Hyderabad blasts on Monday.
In an affidavit before the Bombay high court, the Maharashtra government has stated that it has sought a ban on right-wing outfit Sanathan Sanstha under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. The state government is yet to take a decision on Abhinav Bharat, another right-wing organisation.
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad ruled out the involvement of a suicide bomber in Wednesday's three blasts in the city and said a probable suspect's sketch would be prepared by Saturday night.
A senior police officer said information networks were strengthened following an input around 15-20 days ago that three Bangladeshis had slipped into the country and could possibly carry out subversive acts at the National Stock Exchange building and some nuclear installations in the city.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad on Wednesday announced the arrest of a key Naxalite cadre who was arrested two days ago from Thane.
Naquee Ahmed, one of the 13/7 blasts accused, was in contact with Indian Mujahideen's elusive chief operative Yasin Bhatkal through a popular social networking site since 2008, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad claimed on Sunday.Naquee, who hails from Darbhanga district of Bihar, was initially arrested on January 10 this year on charges of forgery for allegedly procuring mobile phone SIM cards using fake documents.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad on Monday told a special court in Mumbai that they have procured the telephonic records of Praveen Mutalik alias Praveen Venkatesh Takalki, key accused in the 2008 Malegoan blast case, and want to scrutinise it to trace the other absconding accused.
The Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad has seized over 7 kg of natural uranium worth about Rs 21.30 crore and arrested two persons in this connection, an official said on Thursday.
The Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad has undertaken massive combing operations across several districts of Maharshtra, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad probing the 13/7 Mumbai triple blasts case has invoked the stringent provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against the four arrested accused.
The Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad may invoke the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against the two alleged Lashkar-e-Tayiba operatives, one of them a Pune blast suspect, arrested last week.
Three security establishments in Nashik including army's Deolali camp were recceed by arrested Lashkar-e-Tayiba terror suspect Shaikh Lalbaba Mohammed Hussain for a Lahore Police Academy-type attack, Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad said on Monday.
A special court on Tuesday allowed the National Investigation Agency to take custody of three key accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case for further interrogation from July 22 for eight days.
Two alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives, who provided vehicles used in 2008 serial blasts in Gujarat that killed 56 and wounded over 200, have been arrested by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court on Tuesday remanded Lashlar-e-Tayiba operative and key 26/11 handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal in Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad custody till August 24 in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad has arrested a close associate of Indian Mujahideen's elusive chief operative Yasin Bhatkal in connection with the 13/7 serial bomb blasts case, taking the total number of arrests to five.
'They don't communicate on the telephone. They meet. The conspiracy is discussed, the crime is planned out and then the crime happens.' Rakesh Maria, the supercop who heads Maharashtra's Anti Terrorism Squad, explains the mindset of the modern terrorist at the Times Literary Festival. A correspondent listens in.
A special court on Thursday said the application of provisions of the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act in the Malegaon blast case by the Maharashtra police was valid.After perusing the chargesheet, special MCOCA judge Y D Shinde said prima facie there was evidence to invoke MCOCA in the case.The over 4,000-page chargesheet had been filed by the ATS against 14 accused in the case charging them under MCOCA.
Hours after the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad claimed a breakthrough in the 13/7 Mumbai blasts case, the Ministry of Home Affairs has claimed that it was not informed about the arrests of two operatives from Bihar -- Naqqi Ahmed Washi Ahmed Shaikh and Nadeem Akhtar Asfaq Sheikh.
A local court in Nashik on Tuesday extended the police custody of alleged Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Shaikh Lalbaba Mohammed Hussain alias Bilal, nabbed by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad in Nashik last week.
The family of slain Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare has declined Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's offer of monetary help, sources said on Saturday.
Maharashtra's Anti-Terrorism Squad is considering pressing charges under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against all the nine accused in the Malegaon blast case, including Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.The ATS is investigating transfer of funds from the bank account of Lt. Col. Purohit, the first serving army officer to be arrested in the case, to Rahirkar and others for execution of the alleged conspiracy.
In response to an RTI query filed by Gulzaar Azmi, general secretary (legal cell) of a socio-cultural organisation, Jamiat Ulama-E-Maharashtra, it was found that Sadashiv Abhimanyu Patil, a constable attached to Nashik unit of ATS, had sent Rs 1,000 thrice to accused Abrar Ahmed through money order in August, September and November 2008 from his residential address at police headquarters in Nashik.